It’s time for 30-plus Dragon crochet patterns. These amigurumi patterns for mythical creatures make a perfect birthday or holiday gift for any dragon lover or fantasy creature enthusiast.
Crochet dragons are a fun home decor item for any dragon lover. I have gathered the best Dragon amigurumi projects from the most popular and talented designers with a step-by-step guide to help you make yours effortlessly.
Supplies needed for crochet amigurumi dragon pattern
- Yarn: The weights vary from DK to chunky weight yarn in colors of your choice.
- Crochet hook – When it comes to the hook size, the recommendation for adorable crochet dragons is to use the smallest hook size you are most comfortable working with! This helps to secure the stuffing and makes it perfect for the little ones. (We do not want any stuffing picking out of the loose stitches)
- Tapestry needle – For sewing in the parts and ends.
- Stitch marker – To secure your pieces before sewing/joining.
- Polyfill stuffing – Toy stuffing gives your crochet Dragons a firm shape!
- Two safety eyes, or you can crochet eyes for children under 3 years. The size of the safety eyes would range from 8 to 20 9 mm safety eyes
- Embroidery thread in black for the eyebrows.
- Fabric glue – To attach the eyes to the dragon’s head.
- Wire for frame d =1.5 – 2 mm about 1- 2m (depending on your yarn)
Important crochet stitches needed for a crochet dragon
Half double crochet and Double crochet stitches
Back and front loops
magic circle / magic ring.
Most of the patterns are worked in continuous rounds. A stitch marker is placed at the end of the round and moved with each round.
More crochet projects to check out on the blog.
How to Crochet a Magic Ring
FAQ to help make The Best Dragon Crochet Patterns
Can the pattern be customized?
Most of the patterns in this round-up are super easy to customize. The dragon’s size, color, or features to make unique creations are common.
How long does it take to complete?
Crocheters often ask about the estimated time required to finish the project, which can vary based on complexity and skill level.
Is there a support forum or contact for questions?
Knowing if there’s a way to get help or advice from the designer or a community is important for any difficulties encountered while following the pattern.
Are there any tips for making the dragon more durable?
This is especially relevant for crocheted dragons intended as toys, where durability is a key concern.
Can the finished product be machine-washed?
Care instructions for the crochet dragon are often sought after, especially if it’s meant as a child’s toy.
About the Designer
Hi, I am Susanna, the designer behind Fosbas Designs. I love yarn and crochet (obviously, that is why I have a blog to share all my beautiful crochet projects). These designs are aimed at bringing out the crocheter in you.